Monday, July 25, 2016

Home PT Week 2 July 25th-29th 2016

Home Physical Therapy Week of
Monday July 25th - Friday July 29th 2016: 

Home PT day 12 - Spondylolisthesis BJJ
Monday 7/25/2016. Basically the same as Friday except today I pushed myself on my abdominal exercises making them harder.  How I'm this week/today - best I've felt since I found out I had spondylolisthesis!  Some light cramping in my back on my right side but overall not much pain.  

Buttock/Hamstring stretch:  


This stretch is one of my favorite stretches.


Pelvic tilts:
  

 
While lying on the floor I did 30 pelvic tilts holding each tilt while pressing my lower back into the table and making my core tight.  I held each tilt for a count of 10 then release and rest for 1 or 2 seconds.  To make this harder today - I pressed my low back into the ground with more effort today.  I could definitely feel the additional work after I was done. 
 
Bridges with pelvic tilt hold.  30 reps and it was same as above but instead of pressing my low back into the table I hold the pelvic tilt and bridge lifting my hips off the table.
I held this bridge in the air for a count of 5 and then back down and relax for 1.  30 reps.

Isometric hands against knees:   Both knees at the same time (different from picture below)


4 sets of 45 seconds each.  Hands crossed right over left, straight, hands to side and 4th set left over right.  I pushed myself on this one too.  I pressed into my knees harder today with my hands and found my abs wearing out sooner! 

Deadbug abdominal exercise: 

This is like a modified bicycle crunch but instead of bring your elbow to your knee - you kept your arm straight and it went back behind your head as the knee came up and then switched for the other knee.  This was done for 3 sets of 60 seconds. 

Plank. 

I did this from the pushup position and not from the elbows as demonstrated above. 
3 sets of plank holds for 60 seconds each.  
Note - in the past, whenever I did ab exercises I would lay on my stomach and arch my back in order to stretch but I'm not able to do that now. 


Hamstring door stretch: 

  
1 Minute stretch each leg 2 sets total of 2 minutes each leg. 

Evening walk - 30 minutes.  

Doctor visit and X-rays tomorrow!

As always, if you want to talk about BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and Spondylolisthesis or physical therapy you can comment on here and I'll get back to you.  Leave your email in a comment. 
Additionally, if you have spondylolisthesis and are still doing BJJ or any other martial art please let me know.  I've been searching for others that do Marital Arts and have a spondy but have not found many.

====================================

Home Physical Therapy day 13 - Spondylolisthesis BJJ
Wednesday 7/27/2016. I increased my abdominal exercises today.   


Pelvic tilts:
  

 
While lying on the floor I did 30 pelvic tilts holding each tilt while pressing my lower back into the table and making my core tight.  I held each tilt for a count of 10 then release and rest for 1 or 2 seconds. 

Bridges with pelvic tilt hold.  30 reps and it was same as above but instead of pressing my low back into the table I hold the pelvic tilt and bridge lifting my hips off the table.
I held this bridge in the air for a count of 5 and then back down and relax for 1.  30 reps.

Isometric hands against knees:   Both knees at the same time (different from picture below)


Increase today 60 second sets.  4 sets of 60 seconds each.  Hands crossed right over left, straight, hands to side and 4th set left over right.  I could definitely feel the extra 15 seconds each set! 

Deadbug abdominal exercise: 

This is like a modified bicycle crunch but instead of bring your elbow to your knee - you kept your arm straight and it went back behind your head as the knee came up and then switched for the other knee.  This was done for 3 sets of 60 seconds. 

Plank. 

Increase today.  I did 4 sets of 60 seconds each.  I did 2 sets from the push up position and 2 sets from the elbow position = total 4 sets of plank holds for 60 seconds each.  

New exercise - leg raises. 

Lay flat on the floor with my hands underneath and I did 15 leg raises total.  I had planned to do 45 total but I ended up only doing 15 as once I got to 10 my low back started to feel a some pain. 

Buttock/Hamstring stretch:  


This stretch is one of my favorite stretches.

I taught one hour of adult BJJ class tonight.  I took it very slow and demonstrated carefully.  It felt great to be back on the mat with all my teammates!  I did not roll tonight.  The Dr. has asked me to give it another 4 weeks to continue strengthening my core before contact. 

====================================

Home Physical Therapy day 14 - Spondylolisthesis BJJ
Friday 7/29/2016. Another day of increases - little by little.   


Pelvic tilts:
  

 
Increase by 5.  While lying on the floor I did 35 pelvic tilts holding each tilt while pressing my lower back into the table and making my core tight.  I held each tilt for a count of 10 then release and rest for 1 or 2 seconds. 
 
Bridges with pelvic tilt hold:
Increase by 15.  45 reps and it was same as above but instead of pressing my low back into the table I hold the pelvic tilt and bridge lifting my hips off the table.  I held this bridge in the air for a count of 5 and then back down and relax for 1.  45 total reps.

Isometric hands against knees:   Both knees at the same time (different from picture below)


4 sets of 60 seconds each.  Hands crossed right over left, straight, hands to side and 4th set left over right. 

Deadbug abdominal exercise: 

This is like a modified bicycle crunch but instead of bring your elbow to your knee - you kept your arm straight and it went back behind your head as the knee came up and then switched for the other knee.  This was done for 4 sets of 60 seconds. 

Plank. 

I did 4 sets of 60 seconds each.  I did 2 sets from the push up position and 2 sets from the elbow position = total 4 sets of plank holds for 60 seconds each.  

Leg raises. 

Lay flat on the floor with my hands underneath and I did 15 leg raises total.  Same as Wednesday - I had planned to do 45 total but I ended up only doing 15 because of pain in my low back while doing these. 

Contact me if you have questions regarding BJJ and Spondylolistheses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment