Friday, July 1, 2016

Physical Therapy day 4

Physical Therapy Day 4 - Spondylolisthesis BJJ
Friday 7/1/2016

Basically and exact repeat of Day 3 Wednesday.  Only changes were the order of some of the stretches and they put my 6 minute bicycle warm-up on level 5. 
About 1/2 way thru my session the therapist asked what kind of exercises I would consider difficult.  She was trying to get an idea of where I was physically and what changes they might make for future sessions.  I replied to her that I usually do things like tire flips and pushing the car up and down the block and she stopped me right there.  She said that tells her all she needs to know and that we won't be doing anything like that in PT!  Ha Hah!

Turns out that there is a name for the ab exercise that I had previously called "modified bicycle crunches" in my earlier post.  They are called Deadbugs because you look like a dying/dead bug on your back moving your arms and legs. 

DeadBugs:  This abdominal exercise is similar to bicycle crunches where you are laying flat and you bring your opposite knee to your opposite elbow but this was different.  Instead of bring your elbow to your knee - you kept your arm straight and it went back behind your head as the knee came up and then switched for the other knee.  This was done for 3 sets of 30 seconds.

Notes for 2 weeks (4 sessions of PT). 
The main progress I feel I have made is the stretching.  Being made to do various stretches that I don't normally do for 30-45 minutes has been good for my body.  Overall I feel better about my back but I also know much of this is also from the rest and vacation from difficult physical activities that I normally do each week.  I have not done any Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, weight lifting or other high impact activity since my back started hurting.  My physician has recommended that I continue not doing those things for 4-6 weeks.  It has been extremely difficult as anyone that knows me knows that is like being asked to not be me for 4-6 weeks. 

Here's to healing and feeling even better next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment